Being that I have to feed my family every night or they complain I often go to Pinterest for recipe inspiration.
was wasting time, looking for a recipe, I came across this recipe that appealed to me. I gathered the ingredients and set to work.
Cattle Drive Casserole
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded & divided
- 1 sm. can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1 1/4 cup water, divided
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown ground beef, drain off grease. Add in diced onion, bell pepper, taco seasoning and 1/2 cup of the water to pan. Simmer approximately 10 minutes until onion & pepper are softened.
- In separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and green chilies, set aside.
- Stir Bisquick and 3/4 cup water (you may need a tiny bit more water) to make a soft dough. Spray 13X9 baking pan with non-stick spray. Press dough into bottom of pan and bake 5 minutes.
- On top of biscuit layer, spread ground beef mixture, next add can of Rotel spreading over ground beef mixture, next spread the sour cream mixture and end with remaining shredded cheese sprinkled over the top.
- Bake 30 minutes.
Since I didn’t have enough Bisquick, I substituted crescent rolls as the base. I love crescent rolls so I would do this again.
It was easy to make. Especially when you read the instructions. I am a notorious recipe skimmer. So I did miss the step where you add the taco seasoning to the ground beef. I realized it after I already had the ground beef on the cooked crescent rolls. It was easily fixable. I also added taco sauce to the meat mixture. I think it adds a little zip.
Next time I would double the sour cream and omit the mayo. I would also not use as many green peppers.
My kids hated this recipe. They ate only as much as they had to and did that complaining. Jeremy liked it. It was a 2 helping meal for him. It is not a recipe I will probably make again and definitely won’t be moved to my YUMMY Pinterest board. 😉
I forgot to take a picture when it was done. I am sorry. I know your life will not go on now.